China operates on a 220/240V electrical supply similar to Europe and Asia. The US and Canada operate on 110/120V and Japan on 100V. Step-up converters are needed for North American and Japanese appliances. Sockets accommodate flat and rounded two-pin and flat three-pin plugs. Multi-plug converters can be bought at most supermarkets and hardware stores. Step-up converters are available here at specialty shops.

Don't ship large appliances (refrigerator, washing machine, dryer or diswasher) to China. They are typically provided in a lease and the landlord may not agree to move the existing ones. Also, the warranty for appliances purchased abroad will probably be invalid, and spare parts for your appliance may not be available here. Note that TVs and fixed-line telephones bought abroad may not work here.

Want to know more ? Ask a Question

Next: Banking